Sunday, March 28, 2010

And for dessert, Chilled Monkey Brains.

What a weekend. I'm gonna try to recap everything awesome that happened this weekend. I had plenty of new experiences this weekend. We went to the Taj Mahal this weekend. The flight to Dehli was ridiculous. So many screaming kids kicking my seat on the plane. At one point, Greg was so frustrated that he said "the kid's eyes are dry" We land in Dehli, where 16 million people live. Sketchiest ride so far. I"m sitting in the back of an SUV with the bags in the trunk area with the door that didnt shut all the way, and fumes were coming in the car pretty bad. Started to get nausea and a head trip. Every time the driver slowed down a huge white cloud of smoke came from our car. Did not sleep much that night. Had to leave at 6am, and realized while brushing my teeth in the street that there were fires everywhere. These were trash fires on the street. No garbage service, it's cool, just burn it on the street. Managed to get a dog all riled up by barking at it. Next was a 4-5 hour car ride to the city of Agra to see the Taj Mahal. Our driver got out at some check point and our car got stormed by street peddlers. A one eyed man tried to sell me peacock feathers. Then a man with monkeys came up to the car, and we took pictures. He then starts beating on the window. I crack the door yelling at him to stop. I started to lose it, because he would not let go of the door, because he was demanding money. My mistake for opening the door, but he started mocking me, it was pretty hilarious. He demanded 500 rupees, and we gave him twenty to shut the fuck up. He didnt, and kept beating on the window. Saw a monkey in a dress, and a dancing cobra. Wanted my picture taken with them today, but didnt feel up to it, because I was tired and ready to get to the airport. I love India, but this place is fucking disgusting. People pissing/shitting everywhere on the streets. Burning trash everywhere. Not giving a fuck about anything. Definitely makes me appreciate America a lot more than I already do.

The Taj Mahal was one of the most magnificent things I've ever seen. Being there, and taking a step back to look at it, and continually asking myself, "what the fuck am I doing here? How did I end up here?" It was breath taking, and amazing. Seeing a dude who walks on all fours because his legs are bent the wrong way sucks. Polio is still rampant here. We are at the Taj Mahal and people seemed more interested in my tattoos. Still blows my mind. They are not beautiful, they are stupid, but the Indians think they are a work of art. We also went to the Agra Fort, which is huge and really cool. Being in a structure that is 500 years old. It smelled like dead people bathed in shit. Still though, my favorite part of the Fort was the view of the Taj. Our hotel was hella gross. We had a $90 duck for dinner last night at John's hotel. He stayed in the posh hotel, while we stayed at the noise palace. After dinner we were having drinks and I couldnt tell what the lady was singing and I kept thinking it was Morrissey songs, but they werent. She asked for requests, and we got "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion, and "Purple Rain" by Prince. There are no butt snorkels in Agra/Dehli, just a lil bucket of water with no instructions. A kid comes up to me and held out his hand and said "money."

We got stuck in a religous parade today trying to leave Agra. Cows all over the road. Met some Iranians at a truck stop. I dont hate Iran like some of the older generations of Americans, and these guys told me "Ah, America. Great freedoms. We have zero freedom in Iran" I didnt know what to say, but it is something I'll never forget. We get to the airport, and security took my lighter. Like a dumbass, I say hey can I get my lighter back. I'll give you 50 rupees, and the guy rolls his eyes. I say 100, and he waves me over. This is where the situation got a little tense. He said something about you say that word in America, and I say "huh, I just want my lighter." He then takes my airplane ticket and says "I have not cleared you" and threatens me with jail. He was trying to intimidate me saying something about bribery, but everyone says that all the cops are bribed, and told him I just wanted my lighter, and no problems. He got real stern, and told me to go on. Laters, lighter. It was a bic, too. They dont have bic's in India. I hope he at least gave it to his son, or nephew. All kinds of thoughts of going to jail went through my head, what I would do, what my group would've done. I apologized to them, and realized I prolly shouldnt run my mouth in a 3rd world country, especially to guys with sticks that can turn into automatic weapons.

I wouldnt say that I'm ready to come home, but some of the people I am with are going home this week, and I'd be lying if I didnt say I am somewhat jealous. America rules. I appreciate America even more after this weekend of seeing more of the shit hole of India. Why do people live like this? Because they have no other choice, and that fucking sucks. Also, this weekend was United Blood in Richmond. One of my favorite fests, and I have seen some pics and read some reviews and it sounded awesome. Wish I couldve been there. India rules, and I wish I was staying longer than two months. I'd like to see it all, and experience as much as possible.

My mustache has power out here. India understands the power stache, and the force that comes with it. I've seen so many sick staches, and gotten so many compliments for having a ridiculous mustache. Seems corny, but it's funny. Some of the car door openers at this hotel had the most serious staches I've ever seen. I'll put the pics up soon.

Rancid 2000. One of the best albums of all time. I dont think i've ever listened to it without listening all the way through. I dont know any other album you can do that. I have only listened to it from start to finish, and it's been out for ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment